Monday 20 January 2014

Sketches and Development



Sketches and Developments for Final Product

So finally after doing my research on Victorian hats, steampunk design and Effie Trinket's style in Hunger Games film I concluded to a style and design for my product which is the top hat. Part of the research that I did about Victorian fashion along times and characteristics, but focused more on hats and headpieces worn. Since steampunk is very inspired from Victorian especially the last two decades I made sure to design a hat which was invented and worn at that time. 


Amongst from  'flower pot', tyrolean and  bonnets top hats were very popular especially  for men but women who participated in outdoor activities opted for a smiler style like the men. Top hats are very associated with steampunk so I opted for a top hat style. Found some images regarding this style and sketched a few in colour. 


Sketch of two Top Hat slightly different
Sketches of Tyrolean and Top Hat style





Apart choosing the style of the hat, the decorating of the hat is based on steampunk characteristics, Effie Trinket's flower headpiece and a piece of lace and the idea of side flowers on hats too from the Victorian lady painting. I sketched some of these although they are not well done and clear.

Sketches of gears, clock hands and lace

I was still not sure what colour to use for the base though  wanted it to be fun and use bright colours, keeping in mind the magenta flower from Trinket's inspiration to match with colour chosen. Then decided to keep on cold colours for two reasons; my favourite colours and seen a lot in Effie Trinket's outfits also Victorians loved bright hues for there outfits and hats. A deep purple colour I chose together with a magenta flower.

Drew the top hat and tried out what purple hues use by using acqaurelles and smudge all over. Also placed the flower and steampunk clock hands on the side of the hat together with a real piece of lace.

Top Hat with flower and clock hands placed and lace attached

Now I will finalize and adapt accordingly to a finished product.










No comments:

Post a Comment